Applicants must have a completed bachelor's (BA) degree from an accredited college or university. While previous exposure via coursework hours in the political science field (or social science generally) is valued, it is not mandatory for consideration of an application.
We begin reviewing completed applications in the second week of January and roll forward with admissions decisions to June 1 for graduate degrees and coursework commencing in late August. Due to the sequencing of the courses in our graduate curriculum, we only consider applications for fall semester admissions. The department has limited resources to fund graduate students (e.g., teaching assistantships.) Applications submitted later in the spring run the risk of these resources being exhausted upon admittance."
The applicant must complete a two-step process for an application to be considered complete and reviewable:
- Complete the ApplyTexas application procedure for UNT's Toulouse Graduate School detailed here: Toulouse Graduate School. Your GRE scores should be transmitted to Toulouse directly from ETS. Your transcripts from prior educational institutions should be transmitted to Toulouse directly from those institutions; and
- The applicant must submit the following materials directly to the Political Science Department:
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to evaluate the applicant's academic potential (letters from academic instructors are preferred, but letters from employers or others may be submitted if academic references are unavailable);
- GRE scores
- A 500-word statement of purpose detailing the applicant's primary area of interest within political science and career objective after completing the degree;
- One sample of academic writing (e.g., a course paper or similar document);
- A resume or curriculum vita listing academic background, accomplishments, awards, and honors; and
- An application for teaching assistantship/fellowship (optional): Teaching Assistantship/Fellowship
Application materials for the Political Science Dept. should be submitted in one of two ways:
- Email attachment (preferred): Brenda.Davidsonswartz@unt.edu. Applicants are instructed to have their letters of recommendation by their recommenders under seperate cover to this email address; or
- Surface mail: Brenda Davidson Swartz, Graduate Administrative Assistant, Department of Political Science, University of North Texas, 1155 Union Circle #305340, Denton, TX 76203-5017.