Applicants must have a completed bachelor's (BA) degree from an accredited college or university, as well as a minimum of 24 hours of undergraduate or graduate work in the field of political science.
Due to the sequencing of our curriculum, we only consider applications for fall semester admissions. The deadline for full consideration of applications is December 22. Applications received after December 22 may be denied without review, if the department has already filled the available positions in our fall cohort of graduate students.
The applicant must complete a two-stage process:
- The applicant completes the application procedure for UNT's Toulouse Graduate School detailed here: Toulouse Graduate School (submission of GRE Scores is required).
- Applicants must submit the following materials directly to the Political Science Department:
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to evaluate the applicant's academic potential (letters from academic instructors are preferred, but letters from employers or others may be submitted if academic references are unavailable) and a confidential appraisal form (from each recommender): Appraisal Form;
- A 500-word statement of purpose detailing the applicant's primary area of interest within political science and career objective after completing the degree;
- One sample of academic writing (a course paper or similar document);
- A resume or curriculum vita listing academic background, accomplishments, awards, and honors; and
- An application for teaching assistantship/fellowship (optional): Teaching Assistantship/Fellowship.
- Application materials for the Political Science Dept. should be submitted in one of two ways:
i. Surface mail: Kristin Hudson, Graduate Secretary, Department of Political Science, University of North Texas, 1155 Union Circle #305340, Denton, TX 76203-5017; or
ii. Email attachment: Ms. Kristin Hudson (Kristin.Hudson@unt.edu). Applicants are instructed to have letters of recommendation sent by recommenders under separate cover to this email address.