Applicants must have a completed bachelor's (BA) degree from an accredited college or university, as well as a minimum of 24 hours of undergraduate or graduate work in the field of political science.
We begin reviewing completed applications (see below) in the second week of January for graduate degrees and coursework commencing in August/September. Due to the sequencing of the courses in our graduate curriculum, we only consider applications for fall semester admissions. All completed applications received will be evaluated. Admission decisions are rolling from January forward.
The applicant must complete a two-stage process for an application to be considered complete and reviewable:
- The applicant completes the application procedure for UNT's Toulouse Graduate School detailed here: Toulouse Graduate School (submission of GRE Scores is required).
- Applicants must submit the following materials directly to the Political Science Department:
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to evaluate the applicant's academic potential (letters from academic instructors are preferred, but letters from employers or others may be submitted if academic references are unavailable) and a confidential appraisal form (from each recommender): Appraisal Form;
- A 500-word statement of purpose detailing the applicant's primary area of interest within political science and career objective after completing the degree;
- One sample of academic writing (a course paper or similar document);
- A resume or curriculum vita listing academic background, accomplishments, awards, and honors; and
- An application for teaching assistantship/fellowship (optional): Teaching Assistantship/Fellowship.
- Application materials for the Political Science Dept. should be submitted in one of two ways:
i. Surface mail: Kristin Hudson, Graduate Secretary, Department of Political Science, University of North Texas, 1155 Union Circle #305340, Denton, TX 76203-5017; or
ii. Email attachment: Ms. Kristin Hudson (Kristin.Hudson@unt.edu). Applicants are instructed to have letters of recommendation sent by recommenders under separate cover to this email address.