The department only considers applications for fall admissions.
There is a two-stage process for admission. Applicants must complete all admission requirements of the Toulouse Graduate School, in addition to the program requirements listed below.
While the graduate school application deadline for the fall is June 15, the limited number of openings in our program each year means that we guarantee full consideration only of applications received by December 22. Because of additional processing time, international students should plan on submitting materials by December 1 in order to ensure consideration. Applications received after December 22 may be denied without review if we have filled the available positions in our incoming class.
Because of the sequencing of our classes, the department will consider spring admission only in rare circumstances. Students seeking spring admission should contact the graduate advisor in advance of submitting an application.
Master's and Doctoral Degree Admission Requirements
Note: No single criterion determines whether students will be admitted to the program. A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- Minimum of 24 hours of undergraduate or graduate work in political science.
- Acceptable GPA on the last 60 hours of undergraduate study.
- Acceptable scores on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE.
- Three letters of recommendation are required from individuals qualified to evaluate the applicant's academic potential. (Letters from professors are expected, but letters from employers or others may be submitted if faculty references are unavailable.)
- A 500-word statement of purpose stating the applicant's primary area of interest within political science and career objective. An academic writing sample (may be a course paper or similar document).
- A one or two-page CV or resume listing academic background, awards, and honors.
Where to Send All Materials
To Toulouse School of Graduate Studies
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Admission Application for U.S. citizens and permanent resident aliens only.
- International Students must complete the International Students admission application.
- Official GRE Scores
- Application fee
To Department of Political Science
- Three letters of recommendation
- Confidential Appraisal Form (From each letter of recommendation writer)
- 500 word statement
- Academic writing sample
- Resume or CV
- (Optional) Application for financial assistance
Address these materials to: Graduate Advisor, Department of Political Science, University of North Texas, 1155 Union Circle #305340, Denton, TX 76203-5017, PSCI-GradAdmissions@unt.edu