The Department of Political Science offers a five-year BA/Masters program for highly motivated Political Science majors that allows undergraduate students to take 12 hours of graduate level courses during their senior year and earn an MA in five years.
1. You must be a current UNT Political Science major.
2. You must have completed 75 credit hours at the time of application. This will typically be during your junior year. Applicants must have completed PSCI 2305, PSCI 2306, PSCI 3300, and three advanced PSCI classes (3000/4000 level) from three different fields before applying.
3. You must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
4. You must have one letter from a faculty member nominating you for admission to the program and two additional letters of recommendation from Political Science Faculty members who can attest to the your ability to do graduate level course work.
How to Apply
1. Applicants should meet with the Political Science Undergraduate and Graduate Advisors before they submit their application documents to check on eligibility.
2. Fill out the Political Science Grad Track Admission Application.
3. Fill out the Conditional Admission and Advisor Course Approval Form.
4. In addition, you will need:
- three letters of recommendation, with at least two from members of the political science faculty. Have them send this DIRECTLY to Political Science Grad Track Administrative Assistant at email@example.com;
- a writing sample;
- statement of purpose; and
- a resume or CV.
- Submission of GRE scores is not required.
5. Submit all documents to the Political Science Grad Track Administrative Assistant at Claire.Henry@unt.edu
What Courses Do I Take?
Instead of 4 advanced undergraduate electives in the 4th year, students will take PSCI 5340 and 5320 in the Fall semester and two approved graduate seminars in the Spring.
In the fifth year you will take 18 more graduate hours to complete the 30 hours of total graduate credit needed to earn the MA. In addition, you will be required either to write a thesis, take a field examination, or complete an approved internship to complete your MA degree requirements.