Here you will find any and all information on potential paid and unpaid opportunities with various campaigns around the DFW area. These opportunities are instrumental in creating new networking opportunities for students while collecting a bit of a summer paycheck. This page will be updated frequently, so check back often!
Note: These are NOT formal internship opportunities and NOT affiliated with the Department or University.
Governor Abbott - D/FW Office
- Are you a soon to be graduate interested in getting your foot in the door for a high profile candidate? Are you a senior graduating this May? The re-election campaign for Governor Abbott is looking for a soon to be graduate who would be interested in an entry level position as a campaign staffer in Montague/Wise Counties (west & north of Denton). Job description includes organizing volunteers, attending community events, communicating to the region on behalf of Governor Abbott, and being the main point of contact for inquiries. This is a paid position with a salary of $2,500/month plus bonuses and full benefits.
- Interested? Send a copy of your resume to Dr. Eshbaugh-Soha with the subject line, "Internship: Governor Abbott Opportunity". This position is looking to be filled as quickly as possible so get your resumes in quickly!
Political Dinner for Beto O' Rouke - D/FW Area
- The Denton County Democratic Party seeks volunteers to assist at the LBJ Obama Dinner on June 9, 2018. U.S. Senate Candidate Beto O'Rourke will be the guest speaker at the event, and other local Democratic politicians and candidates will be in attendance. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the County Democratic Party office at 940-566-1165.
Andrew Morris for Texas - Denton Area
- Andrew Morris is running for State Legislator in House District 64 right here in Denton. A local race, Andrew is running on a platform of local and social issues. Duties include canvassing, phone banking, learning how to handle data and the intricate relationship between activist groups, the community, and the candidate interact.
- This is an unpaid position. To apply or ask questions, contact Andrew's team here!
- Salerno for Congress is seeking thoughtful, driven, results-oriented, campaign fellows to join a team of passionate people, working dutifully to achieve our mission of electing Lillian Salerno to Congress. Job responsibilities include canvassing & social media, training and leading small groups of volunteers for voter outreach efforts, and to assist and maintain the campaign database.
- Qualifications include: Proven track record of meeting deadlines, ability to work as a team player and collaborator, and possess strong writing skills with a high attention to detail. Votebuilder (VAN) experience is preferred, but not required.
To Apply: Please send a resume and a brief paragraph explaining why you want to help elect Lillian Salerno to firstname.lastname@example.org Put "Salerno Fellowship" in the subject line.
Due Date: Rolling Deadlines
- Colin Allred For Congress is looking for summer volunteers who are passionate about politics and willing to work hard in order to elect Colin Allred. Volunteers will work closely with campaign staff and be exposed to the campaign finance operation and field work.
- Summer volunteers have the opportunity to work full time (40 hours per week) and on a part time basis (15 hours per week). The opportunity runs from June 1 through August 15. Full time fellows are eligible to have housing paid for through the campaign.
To Apply: Send a resume and a brief explanation (less than 250 words) of why you want to join Team Colin to email@example.com
- The office of State Senator Kelly Hancock is looking for a scheduler/executive Assistant & Legislative Correspondent in Austin. As Chair of the Business and Commerce committee, candidates are expected to have a strong work ethic and positive attitude. Job responsibilities include managing the Senator's calendar, oversee event logistics and provide thorough briefings to the Senator. Candidates will also be able to handle basic office management responsibilities and handle correspondents.
To Apply: Send a copy of your resume, reference list, and two professional writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-463-0109.
Past Local Opportunities
Honorable Kay Granger - Washington, D.C Office
- Representative Kay Granger has offered numerous UNT students the opportunity to serve in her Washington D.C office. She also occasionally has opportunities in her Fort Worth office. These positions are great for those interested in policy work and who want to learn more about the legislative process. These internships are arranged through NTDC, which is a competitive process.
Political Campaign of Lillian Salerno - Candidate for Congressional District 32
- Congressional races are fast paced environments that provide students with a fantastic opportunity to learn about the intricacies of policy versus politics. They also show you what politics are about on a grassroots level.
Political Campaign of Michael Rhea - Candidate for Texas House District 106
- Local elections are where candidates for office can make the most impact. Michael Rhea has taken on numerous UNT students to do field and data work for his campaign. An excellent opportunity for those interested in local elections. This year is election season as candidates prepare for the November midterm elections. Many candidates are looking for interns.
Texas State Representative Rodney Anderson - Grand Prairie
- Texas State representatives offer a lot of opportunities for our students. Because the State Legislature does not meet regularly, students are able to learn from representatives while still handling a large case load. Contact Dr. Cox for more information on how to balance your commitment to your job and your commitment to your classwork.
Democracy Forward - Washington & Dallas offices
- Democracy Forward offers students the chance to improve research skills, learn about constitutional law, teaches interns how to communicate with others on a small team. Look for future opportunities on the career center website located here.