Here you will find any and all information on potential paid and unpaid opportunities with various campaigns around the DFW area. These opportunities are instrumental in creating new networking opportunities for students while collecting a bit of a summer paycheck. This page will be updated frequently, so check back often!
Note: These are NOT formal internship opportunities and NOT affiliated with the Department or University. Descriptions often come from the campaign or volunteer coordinator for said campaign.
- Students doing internship for credit are required to maintain a minimum amount of hours per semester. Please be mindful of our university requirements while selecting and applying to your internship.
Governor Abbott - D/FW Office
- Are you a soon to be graduate interested in getting your foot in the door for a high profile candidate? Are you a senior graduating this May? The re-election campaign for Governor Abbott is looking for a soon to be graduate who would be interested in an entry level position as a campaign staffer in Montague/Wise Counties (west & north of Denton). Job description includes organizing volunteers, attending community events, communicating to the region on behalf of Governor Abbott, and being the main point of contact for inquiries. This is a paid position with a salary of $2,500/month plus bonuses and full benefits.
- Interested? Send a copy of your resume to Dr. Eshbaugh-Soha with the subject line, "Internship: Governor Abbott Opportunity". This position is looking to be filled as quickly as possible so get your resumes in quickly!
Mark Tippetts for Texas Governor - Austin, TX
- The campaign for Libertarian candidate Mark Tippetts is looking for five motivated interns to draft press releases, assist with donor correspondence, seek out relevant news articles for social media posts, and attend campaign events. Students are expected to work a minimum of 20 hours and will be provided with relevant, hands-on experience in the political world. This internship is unpaid.
- Interested? E-mail Mr. Wade Cope with your resume and a brief cover letter.
Campaign for Senator Ted Cruz - Various locations, including Dallas
- Internships are available in D.C, Austin, Dallas, Houston & San Antonio offices. Internship activies include engaging in legislative research, administrative duties, interacting with the communications department and regional outreach/constitutient relations. Interns are responsible for their own housing, food and transportation. This is an unpaid opportunity.
- To apply, send a cover letter, one page resume, two letters of recommendation, a college transcript, 1-2 page writing sample and what office you wish to apply to intern at. Applications for Fall internships are due the last Friday of July.
Andrew Morris for Texas - Denton Area
- Andrew Morris is running for State Legislator in House District 64 right here in Denton. A local race, Andrew is running on a platform of local and social issues. Duties include canvassing, phone banking, learning how to handle data and the intricate relationship between activist groups, the community, and the candidate interact.
- This is an unpaid position. To apply or ask questions, contact Andrew's team here!
Ryan Ray for State Representative District 96 - Mansfield Area
- The campaign for Ryan Ray is looking for "volunteers to help with phone banking, block walking and representing Ryan at various events. This is a great opportunity for students interested in a career in political science and for those looking to get involved in politics. In addition to volunteering, we also offer internships for the fall semester."
- If interested, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Political Campaign of Nancy Bean - Tarrant County
- Candidate for Texas House District 93. Local elections are where candidates for office can make the most impact. The Campaign for Nancy Bean, candidate for House District 93 is looking for field organizers! This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in local elections and to understand the basics of canvassing. Volunteers are expected to work at least 10 hours weekly.
Colin Allread For Congress - Dallas Area
- Colin Allred For Congress is looking for summer volunteers who are passionate about politics and willing to work hard in order to elect Colin Allred. Volunteers will work closely with campaign staff and be exposed to the campaign finance operation and field work.
- Summer volunteers have the opportunity to work full time (40 hours per week) and on a part time basis (15 hours per week). The opportunity runs from June 1 through August 15. Full time fellows are eligible to have housing paid for through the campaign.
- To apply: Send a resume and a brief explanation (less than 250 words) of why you want to join Team Colin to email@example.com
State Senator Kelly Hancock - Austin
- The office of State Senator Kelly Hancock is looking for a scheduler/executive Assistant & Legislative Correspondent in Austin. As Chair of the Business and Commerce committee, candidates are expected to have a strong work ethic and positive attitude. Job responsibilities include managing the Senator's calendar, oversee event logistics and provide thorough briefings to the Senator. Candidates will also be able to handle basic office management responsibilities and handle correspondents.
- To apply: Send a copy of your resume, reference list, and two professional writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-463-0109.
- Gwenn Burud for State Senate is looking for Fall semester interns to assist in the field operations for their State Senate campaign. This is an opportunity to gain invaluable experience in canvassing, field strategy, voter contact, data entry, and so much more! Interns are only expected to work 10-15 hours per week as this is an unpaid position. Some work can be completed remotely.
- To apply, please visit https://goo.gl/forms/pFTGBcseBBXiRamw2
Alberto Roberts for Tarrant County District Attorney - Tarrant County, TX
- The Alberto Roberts for Tarrant County DA campaign is looking for interns to help with fundraising, communications, social media and policy & research. The campaign is a great opportunity for those with some experience already to start taking the lead on different aspects of a local campaign race.
- Contact Sydney Jones for more information & to apply. E-mail her here.
Kevin Lopez for Texas Senate, District 30 - Campaign Internship Opportunity
- Interns will work primarily in Denton but may travel with the candidate when the student's schedule allows. There will be at least one trip to Austin before the election. The ideal intern needs to be highly motivated, well organized, able to work at a very fast pace, computer and social media savvy, and comfortable with public speaking.
- Work will include the following: assisting with campaign strategy, conducting opposition research, fundraising, coordinating voter/candidate interactions, organizing volunteers, collaborating with other campaigns in Texas, such as Beto O'Rourke, Kim Olsen, and Linsey Fagan, arranging media presence as appropriate, writing press releases, and arranging meetings with appropriate caucuses, and organizations for endorsements.
- Contact Michelle Cramer, Campaign Manager, Kevin Lopez for State Senate District 30, 214-587-9978, email@example.com, Lopez4Texas.com
Internships with the Governor Abbott for re-election campaign
- For information, contact Jason Zelovics, Field Organizer, 214-436-2812, firstname.lastname@example.org
Internships in Dallas Office of Senator Don Huffines
- Additional information: Clarin Gniffke, District Director, Senator Don Huffines, (817) 602-3951 cell
- Huffines Internship-Dallas.pdf
Congressional Leadership Fund, an organization dedicated to supporting Republican candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives
- For more information, contact Nathan Kelley, DFW Regional Field Director, Congressional Leadership Fund, NKelley@theclf.org
- CLF 2018 Internship Flier.doc
Past Local Opportunities
Honorable Kay Granger - Washington, D.C Office
- Representative Kay Granger has offered numerous UNT students the opportunity to serve in her Washington D.C office. She also occasionally has opportunities in her Fort Worth office. These positions are great for those interested in policy work and who want to learn more about the legislative process. These internships are arranged through NTDC, which is a competitive process.
Political Campaign of Lillian Salerno - Candidate for Congressional District 32
- Congressional races are fast paced environments that provide students with a fantastic opportunity to learn about the intricacies of policy versus politics. They also show you what politics are about on a grassroots level.
Texas State Representative Rodney Anderson - Grand Prairie
- Texas State representatives offer a lot of opportunities for our students. Because the State Legislature does not meet regularly, students are able to learn from representatives while still handling a large case load. Contact Dr. Cox for more information on how to balance your commitment to your job and your commitment to your classwork.
Democracy Forward - Washington & Dallas offices
- Democracy Forward offers students the chance to improve research skills, learn about constitutional law, teaches interns how to communicate with others on a small team. Look for future opportunities on the career center website located here.